Req Number 001R6G
Job Category General Clerical/Secretarial
As an Operating Room Booking Clerk you will perform a variety of clerical duties relating to surgical case scheduling in support of the Operating Room department.
• Performs a variety of clerical duties relating to surgical case scheduling including, but not limited to:
• Receives telephone requests from Physicians, House Staff and Chief of Services to schedule surgeries.
• Reviews Operating Room (OR) schedule to determine available times. Schedules surgeries in accordance with established guidelines concerning length of procedure, conference schedules, staffing, anesthesiology, instrumentation, etc.
• Makes modifications to OR schedule. Contacts Physicians, House Staff, Chiefs of Services and various departments to communicate of time changes, booking confirmations, etc.
• Maximizes OR utilization by communicating all available OR time slots to surgeons in an effort to maximize OR utilization.
• Performs additional clerical duties to support department including, but not limited to:
• Prepares listing of next day surgical cases and forwards to Admitting Office to obtain patient room numbers. Posts room numbers on surgical schedule.
• Contacts Anesthesiology Department to obtain case assignments.
• Types and distributes next day OR schedule.
• Reviews OR circulating slips to determine length of procedure and verify information. Categorizes surgical procedures into established groups such as major vs. minor, adult vs. pediatric, etc. Compiles wound classification listing. Totals and posts daily case numbers to OR booking sheets.
• Reviews OR booking sheets to obtain statistical data (i.e. procedure, surgeon’s name, type of surgery, etc.) and prepares various monthly reports.
• Maintains various records, such as cancellations, bumps, requests for time, unfilled block time, AM admits.
• Types correspondence, records and reports, such as post-case data entry.
• Orders supplies and maintains stock levels, as required.
• High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
• Prior clerical experience, required.
• Data entry skills (80 keystrokes per minute), required.
• Capacity to learn medical terminology and demonstrate acceptable proficiency with mathematical computations.
• Working knowledge of PC applications, preferred.
• Ability to work under pressure. Effectively communicates and deals with departments and physician offices.