Req Number 001UQ0
Job Category Management
Assumes 24 hour responsibility for the overall assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of resident care on all units and within the various and specialized programs and services. Oversees and is responsible for Nursing Quality Management activities and reports including investigating all occurrences and complaints ensuring follow-up. Carries-out the overall strategic plan for growth and business development, clinical management, patient care, budgeting, financial management and quality management on the service. Promotes the Health System service standards and creates a patient focused caring environment while addressing and meeting the individual needs of the patient. Fosters an environment of collaboration and respect with physician colleagues, nurses and other healthcare team members.
• Maintains current knowledge of and acts proactively to ensure compliance with all regulatory and professional standards of care, which includes JCAHO, CMS, IHI, DOH, etc.
• Utilizes creativity in developing quality/performance improvement programs, instructing Nurse Managers and implementing new and improved standards.
• Investigates unresolved patient and staff events and coordinates and facilitates resolution of the implementation of new systems which respond to quality improvement outcomes.
• Develops, prepares and monitors the personnel, supply and equipment budgets in collaboration with the Nurse Managers.
• Develops strategic master staffing plans to ensure adequate staffing coverage in accordance with established productivity measures based on patient population needs.
• Develops, oversees and monitors service/unit operational performance metrics inclusive of Length Of Stay (LOS), agency and overtime costs, vacancy and turnover rates.
• Collaborates with the Nurse Executive (NE) and Nurse Managers to establish nursing care standards and evaluates overall staff compliance.
• Identifies research protocols effecting the patient population served and keeps nursing staff informed.
• Ensures accountably in the provision of support services essential to patient care.
• Ensures that a safe and caring environment is maintained for patients that is conducive to positive health teaching, and maintenance; patient and family expectations of care; develops mechanism to assess same.
• Assists Nurse Executive in development of service goals and objectives to support institutional values and goals, with input from nurse managers and staff.
• Fosters and implements programs within the service line that support cultural diversity.
• Ensures that overall planning process occurs for each unit within facility.
• Analyzes findings from patient satisfaction survey and assists Nurse Manager to establish a service based customer services agenda and ensures that unit based agendas are developed with input from staff.
• Assists the Nurse Executive to analyze findings from staff satisfaction survey to establish a service based recruitment and retention agenda.
• Ensures effective plans for delivery of nursing care are developed within the individual units.
• Ensures the resolution of patient and family concerns or complaints in a timely fashion.
• Participates in monthly meetings with the nursing management.
• Hires, educates, mentors, and evaluates nursing management.
• Works with human resources and nursing management to counsel, discipline and terminate staff as needed.
• Educates nursing management in new and existing department procedures and systems (e.g. information systems, fiscal responsibility, etc.).
• Completes the CLI Core Management Series and appropriate leadership conferences.
• Makes recommendations and provides opportunities for growth and development of personnel and arranges for appropriate education and training. Able identify at least one potential successor to his/her role.
• Creates and maintains a supportive working environment for all staff, and students.
• Demonstrates self-development and keeps current on a variety of clinical management and health care topics by participation on a national and local level in professional associations and promotion of national agenda initiatives.
• Responds in a timely fashion to staff concerns and functions proactively to retain staff.
• Assists Nurse Executive to establish service line metrics and goals to measure effectiveness of retention strategies.
• Employs learning organization principles and techniques in all aspects of service line leadership.
• Promotes a level of professionalism within Nursing Department that motivates academic pursuit and continuing education on the part of the staff by establishing and meeting service based professional certification goals.
• Promotes empowerment of the nursing management and staff by utilizing collaborative approaches and encouraging new ideas.
• Functions as a leader of the healthcare team and various interdisciplinary committees to improve patient care and meet patient needs.
• Promotes collegial relationships based on mutual respect and support.
• Creates a supportive working environment which facilitates collaboration and teamwork.
• Bachelor's Degree, required. Master's Degree in Nursing or related field, preferred.
• Current license to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse in New York State.
• Minimum of ten (10) years experience including five (5) years nursing experience and a minimum of five (5) years progressive management experience, required.
• Demonstrated leadership, communication and interpersonal skills required.