Req Number 001S79
Job Category Nursing Support
Under direction and supervision of registered Nurse, assists with activities of daily living, provides basic nursing care, and assists in maintenance of a safe and clean environment.1. Functions as a co-worker to the nurse and a key member of the nursing care team:
· Organizes patient care assignment and sets priorities.
· Alerts RN co-worker to changes in patient status i.e., alteration in comfort, skin integrity, alterations in breathing pattern, etc.
· Documents patient care and patient status changes on the appropriate chart forms.
· Communicates routine information to RN periodically during shift i.e., intake and output.
2. Assists RN in providing for ADL needs of patients:
· Prepares patients for meals, and feeds or assists with meals.
· Provides between meal nourishment and fresh water to patients.
· Bathes or assists patient to bathe, provides oral hygiene.
· Toilets patients as necessary.
· Maintains patient’s mobility with range of motion exercises and ambulation.
· Grooms patient, including shaving, as needed.
· Participates with the RN in the development of a plan of care for assigned patient.
· Utilizes a plan of care in carrying out patient assignments.
3. Maintains patient care units in a neat and orderly condition:
· Changes and makes beds.
· Cleans and straightens bedside table and over-bed tables, as needed.
· Strips patient units upon discharge of patient, in preparation for cleaning by Housekeeping Department.
· Removes equipment from room. Cleans and place it in appropriate are.
· Prepares room for new admissions, transfers and post-operative patients.
4. Assists Registered Nurse by performing selected procedures and simple treatments:
· Takes and records temperature, pulse, respiration rate and B.P. on admission and as assigned.
· Measures and records fluid intake and output; totals at shift end.
· Perform, mount and process EKG’s.
· Draw and process blood, as appropriate, within State and County guidelines.
· Obtains specimens, such as urine, stool and sputum.
· Administers enemas, as directed.
· Weighs and records patient weight on admission and as indicated.
· Shave patients as instructed in preparation for procedures.
· Performs simple procedures utilizing aseptic technique (i.e. – applying and changing simple dressings).
· Performs simple respiratory treatments, as required (i.e. oral suctioning).
5. Performs a variety of related duties:
· Assists patients in and out of bed, ambulates patients, lifts, turns and positions patients.
· Assists with serving of meals; positions patient, cleans over-bed table, and helps distribute and collect trays.
· Transports and accompanies patients to various departments, as directed.
· Reports missing or damaged equipment to Nursing Unit Secretary.
· Maintains non-patient rooms (i.e., utility rooms, linen rooms, kitchens, etc.) in a neat and orderly condition.
· Maintains cleanliness of patient care equipment.
· Performs constant observation on selected patients as assigned.
· Follows medical Center’s policies and procedures to support QA/QI efforts in patient care and services.
· Performs post-mortem care and transports body to morgue.
6. Takes part in Nursing’s continuing education policy by:
· Attending nursing attendant course during orientation program.
· Participating and completing annual mandatory educational requirements.
· Attending nursing attendant staff development programs offered throughout the year.
· High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
· Completion of Nurse Assistant course or equivalent, required.
· Prior experience as a Nursing Attendant or equivalent, required.
· NYS Nurse Attendant certification, preferred.
· Ability to communicate effectively, and follow written and/or oral instructions.
· Ability to work in diversified settings.
Ability to lift, turn, position, etc. Patients, as required