Req Number 001RB6
Job Category Nursing Support
Performs a variety of instrumentation decontamination, sterilization, packaging, inventory, and distribution tasks according to established department policies and procedures.
· Follows department procedures to use appropriate sterilization method for various types of instrumentation.
· Operates washers, sterilizers, ultrasonic machines, steam and ethylene oxide sterilizers, heat sealers, and additional equipment during sterilization procedures.
· Adheres to instrument count sheets for surgical sets and case carts.
· Covers and rotates trays and sets per sterile storage guidelines.
· Follows safety protocols to ensure no injury to self/others (proper body mechanics, protective apparel during decontamination procedures, etc.)
Retrieves used trays, instruments and equipment from various surgical and clinical hospital areas for decontamination.
Examines instruments and patient care equipment for cleanliness, proper assembly and functionality.
Identifies malfunctioning items, records related information, and promptly notifies supervisor or biomedical engineer.
Receives and fills requisitions from hospital departments and nursing units. Communicates with perioperative staff regarding related instrument needs.
Transports sterile supplies to assigned surgical and clinical locations.
Assists in ordering, stocking and maintaining department inventory levels.
Performs required duties to maintain a contaminant-free work environment.
Documents and maintains records of daily activities according to department policies and procedures.
Adheres to AORN, AAMI and Joint Commission standards (e.g. biological, chemical and mechanical monitoring) in the performance of duties.
Participates in department quality control programs and in-service training, as required.
Performs related duties as required.
*ADA Essential Functions
· High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
· Sterile processing certification (CRCST or CSPD), required.
· Must complete minimum annual continuing education credits required by NY State AND additional continuing education credits required to maintain certification status.
· Prior experience processing surgical information, preferred.
· Ability to lift/carry 25 pounds, required. Manual dexterity, ability to stand, bend, lift and/or reach for extended periods of time, required.
· Ability to communicate effectively in English (verbally and in writing) and follow oral and/or written instructions, required.