Req Number 001U4L
Job Category Respiratory Therapy
Supervises and coordinates the activities of the Respiratory Therapy staff, functions as a Respiratory Therapist and helps to maintain equipment and appropriate levels of supplies, and participates in the Q/A process.
Supervises and coordinates the activities of the Respiratory Therapy staff,
functions as a Respiratory Therapist and helps to maintain equipment
and appropriate levels of supplies, and participates in the Q/A
• Hires, trains, disciplines and supervises staff. Evaluates performance and ensures appraisals are completed on a timely basis.
• Attends interdepartmental meetings concerning respiratory care together with, or in place of Director.
• Coordinates the Preventative Maintenance Program. Assures that all patient care equipment is maintained as per manufacturer specifications.
• Ensures completion of department statistics and prepares monthly and yearly reports as directed.
• Ensures policies and procedures are followed carefully by all respiratory therapists.
• Maintains weekly overtime usage report.
• Prepares daily assignments schedule for the shift.
• Makes the best use of staff time during the shift through careful coordination of daily assignments.
• Maintains appropriate inventory of all equipment and supplies.
and diagnostics. Ensures monitors established for the department's
quality assurance plan are maintained. Ensures a review and
and evaluation of the quality of respiratory care services is performed at least quarterly.
• Compares prescription requisitions with medical record order form to ensure accuracy.
• Ensures prescription has complete information, per policy.
• Clarifies any discrepancies with physician.
• Performs bedside vital capacity, respiratory force peak flow measurements.
• Administers various oxygen concentrations, aerosol medication devices and mechanical ventilators.
• Supervises oxygen supported ambulation.
• Performs chest physical therapy i.e., cupping and coughing.
• Provides and maintains mechanical ventilators on assigned unit.
• Immediately responds to Cardiac Team and STAT situations.
• Provides nasotrachael or artificial airway suctioning.
• Performs intubation and arterial blood gas puncture analysis.
• Documents all activities and patient outcomes/responses on approved hospital forms.
• Bachelor's Degree in Respiratory Therapy or related field, required.
• Licensed in Respiratory Therapy in NY State, required.
• Registered as a Respiratory Therapist from the National Board of Respiratory Care, required. Advanced Life Support Certification or Neonatal Resuscitation and critical care experience, preferred.
• Minimum of five (5) years experience as a practicing Respiratory Therapist in a hospital setting, including three (3) years supervisory experience.