Req Number 001VA7
Job Category Home Care
Functions as a pro-active resource person to management and staff in matters regarding the provision of care and formulation of policy and education relative to wound care/ostomy management. Recommends appropriate pressure ulcer/ wound care/ostomy management strategies by collaborating with Physicians and staff, patients and their families. Oversees Performance Improvement activities as related to aspects of pressure ulcer/wound care/ostomy management and reports results.
• Implements a comprehensive pressure ulcer/wound care/ostomy management plan based on assessment of medical, social and environmental needs of the pressure ulcer/wound care/ostomy patient.
• Coordinates teaching activities with family, informal supports and/or other resources.
• Provides direct patient care as indicated and ordered by physician using nursing skills and judgment.
• Evaluates patient's responses to care provided in conjunction with patient's physician and modifies pressure ulcer /wound care /ostomy plan of treatment as needed.
• Assesses patient and families' learning needs and readiness to learn, providing health guidance, counseling and instruction.
• Utilizes written materials as indicated, consistent with patient/families' comprehension and ability to learn.
• Oversees methodology for collection of data.
• Coordinates completion and submission of related surveys and/or reports.
• Participates and chairs in various committees and studies.
• Educates staff on new technologies, health care issues and evidence based practices affecting pressure ulcer/wound care/ostomy management.
• Creates competencies for the nursing staff and assists management in maintaining ongoing competencies.
• Seeks opportunities to enhance own knowledge regarding treatment and management of wound/ostomy care as evidenced by participation in specialty professional associations maintaining CWOCN and enrolling in advanced degree programs (MSN degree).
• Leads plan of care and provides pressure ulcer/wound care/ostomy initiatives and education to nursing, medical staff, management staff as well as the multidisciplinary team.
• Develops policies, procedures and programs facilitating the delivery of evidence based practice provided to pressure ulcer/wound care/ostomy patients.
• Demonstrates current and in-depth knowledge in clinical practice.
• Maintains current knowledge of available community resources and is able to differentiate varying level of care needs.
• Graduate from an accredited School of Nursing. Bachelor's Degree in Nursing, preferred. Must be enrolled in an accredited program within 24 months of employment, if hired after September 1, 2010 and obtain a BSN Degree within five (5) years of employment date.
• Licensed to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse in New York State.
• Current certification in Wound Ostomy Continence Nursing (CWOCN) or Certified Wound Care Consultant (CWCC) required.
• Minimum of five (5) years of medical/surgical nursing experience in hospital or home care setting, required.