Req Number 001QKO
Job Category Management
Assumes 24-hour responsibility for multiple units within a designated service line for the overall assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of patient care on the service. Carries out the System, Hospital and Nursing Service mission, vision, values and for the overall strategic plan for growth and business development, clinical management, patient care, budgeting, financial management and quality management on the service. Promotes The Health System service standards and creating a patient focused caring environment while addressing and meeting the individual needs of the patient. Functions as a key clinical leader and communicates regularly with the physician leader and departmental administrator. Fosters an environment of collaboration and respect with physician colleagues, nurses and other healthcare team members.
• Maintains current knowledge of and acts proactively to ensure compliance with all regulatory and professional standards of care which includes JCAHO, CMS, IHI, CAP, etc.
• Utilizes creativity in developing quality/performance improvement programs, instructing Nursing Management and implementing new and improved standards.
• Utilizes \u201ctracer\u201d methodology as a management tool to ensure that quality of care is embedded into clinical practice on an ongoing basis.
• Develops, prepares and monitors the personnel, supply and equipment budgets in collaboration with the Nurse Managers, Assistant Nurse Managers and support department directors.
• Develops strategic master staffing plans to ensure adequate staffing coverage in accordance with established productivity measures based on patient population needs.
• Develops, oversees and monitors service/unit operational performance metrics inclusive of LOS, agency and overtime costs, vacancy and turnover rates.
• Collaborates with the Nurse Executive and Nurse Managers establishes nursing care standards and evaluates overall staff compliance.
• Identifies research protocols effecting the patient population served and keeps nursing staff informed.
• Ensures accountability in the provision of support services essential to patient care.
• Ensures that a safe and caring environment is maintained for patients that is conducive to positive health teaching, and maintenance; patient and family expectations of care; develops mechanism to assess same.
• Develops service goals and objectives to support the institutional values and goals, with input from nurse managers and staff.
• Fosters and implements programs within the service line that support cultural diversity.
• Ensures that the overall planning process occurs for each unit within the service line.
• Analyzes findings from patient satisfaction survey to establish service based customer services agenda and ensures that unit based agendas are developed with input from the nursing management and the staff.
• Analyzes findings from staff satisfaction survey to establish a service based recruitment and retention agenda and insures that unit based agendas are developed with input from the nursing management and the staff.
• Ensures that effective plans for delivery of nursing care are developed within the service line.
• Ensures the resolution of patient and family concerns or complaints in a timely fashion.
• Conducts monthly meetings with the nursing management to address equipment, scheduling, goals and objectives, performance metrics and improvement activities, and any staff concerns.
• Hires, educates, mentors, and evaluates nursing management .
• Works with human resources and nursing management to counsel, discipline and terminate staff as needed.
• Educates nursing management in new and existing department procedures and systems (e.g. information systems, fiscal responsibility, etc).
• Completes the CLI Core Management Series and appropriate leadership conferences, serves as active faculty at the Nursing Institute and influences the nursing education agenda at local schools.
• Makes recommendations and provides opportunities for growth and development of personnel and arranges for appropriate education and training. Is able to identify at least one potential successor to the Director role.
• Creates and maintains a supportive working environment for all staff, and students.
• Demonstrates self-development and keeps current on a variety of clinical management and health care topics by participation on a national and local level in professional associations and promotion of national agenda initiatives.
• Responds in a timely fashion to staff concerns and functions proactively to retain staff
• Establishes service line metrics and goals to measure effectiveness of retention strategies.
• Employs learning organization principles and techniques in all aspects of service line leadership.
• Promotes a level of professionalism on the unit, which motivates academic pursuit and continuing education on the part of the staff by establishing and meeting service based professional certification goals.
• Promotes empowerment of the nursing management and staff by utilizing collaborative approaches and encouraging new ideas.
• Functions as a leader of the healthcare team and various interdisciplinary committees to improve patient care and meet patient needs.
• Promotes collegial relationships based on mutual respect and support.
• Master's Degree in Nursing or related field, required. Either Master's or Bachelor's Degree must be in Nursing.
• Current license to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse in New York State.
• Minimum of ten (10) years experience which includes, five (5) years nursing experience and minimum of five (5) years progressive management experience, required.
• Demonstrated leadership, communication and interpersonal skills required.