Req Number 001QGZ
Job Category Pharmacy
Compounds, manufactures and dispenses medications and other pharmaceutical products using standard physical and chemical procedures to fill written prescriptions issued by physicians and other qualified prescribers. Reviews written prescriptions for accuracy and completeness. Maintains records and statistics as required. Adheres to required regulations and established pharmacy policy and procedures governing inpatient pharmacy services.
• Documents non-formulary drug approvals, restricted drug approvals and unusual medication orders.
• Receives medication orders and reviews the order for completeness, interactions, incompatibilities and other inconsistencies.
• Consults with prescriber regarding discrepancies.
• Reports prescription discrepancies.
• Follows-up on problems until resolution.
• Dispenses medications.
• Ensures dispensed medications are labeled.
• Observes departmental policy and procedure for dispensing medications to outpatients.
• Initials medication order and label of each dispensed medication.
• Prepares billing charges to be forwarded to the Finance department utilizing appropriate documentation.
• Uses aseptic technique in the preparation of intravenous admixtures.
• Uses knowledge of parenteral incompatibilities and an ability to determine when an incompatibility occurs. Informs prescriber of apparent/potential incompatibility prior to compounding the admixture.
• Compounds parenteral mixtures.
• Prepares labels for admixtures dispensed.
• Initials the original order and label for each admixture dispensed.
• Dispenses controlled medications for inpatients.
• Maintains each record utilized when dispensing controlled drugs, ensuring the appropriate, completed documentation as per required regulations.
• Notifies the management of any discrepancies noted in the controlled drug inventory.
• Bachelor's of Science Degree from an accredited college or university including completion of a one (1) year Pharmacy internship.
• Currently licensed and registered as a Pharmacist in the State of New York.
• Previous Hospital experience, preferred.