Req Number 001T6F
Job Category Physician Assistant
Prepares patient for surgery, assists surgeons and staff in the Operating Room. Performs duties associated with Cardiovascular and Thoracic surgical procedures.
• Assists in relieving patient anxiety by answering questions related to their surgical procedures and post-operative care; and assists in obtaining an informed consent from patient.
• Ensures laboratory tests are ordered and results are interpreted.
• Ensures surgeon's pre-operative medications are ordered.
• Positions, preps and drapes the patient for the intended procedure.
• Provides first and second assist to the surgeon on a variety of procedures.
• Uses knowledge of the surgical procedures and the equipment being used.
• Makes post-operative orders appropriate for the procedure performed.
Assumes post-critical care of the patient including, but not limited to performing rounds; recording progress notes; ensuring patients are on appropriate medications while in the hospital and upon discharge; and performing dressing changes, septic wound care and suture removal.
Performs various Hospital related duties.
• Provides assistance during surgery and participates in on-call responsibilities.
• Performs rounds and ensures patients are on appropriate medications during Hospital stay and upon discharge.
• Works collaboratively to develop, enhance and implement protocols for new procedures, processing and treating patients pre/post operatively.
• Performs patient education to assist patients in making Health related decisions. Promotes Hospital and community based resources.
• Helps reduce pre-hospitalization anxiety by answering questions.
• Seeks to reduce the Hospital's OR cancellation rate by detailing patient histories.
• Evaluates patients' clinical condition for appropriate aftercare referrals or placement into research and outcome studies. Addresses insurance requirements to ensure appropriate placement in order to avoid denials.
• Bachelor's Degree, required.
• Graduate of an accredited (Accreditation Review Committee for Physician Assistant Programs (ARC-PA) program, required.
• Licensed Physician Assistant (LPA) by the New York State Department of Education, required.
• Current NCCPA Certification from the National Commission on the Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA), required.
• Current BLS and ACLS certification, required.
• Minimum of five (5) years related experience including Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery, Quality Assurance and Education.