Req Number 001SRM
Job Category Radiologic
The DIC Nuclear Medicine Technologist operates Nuclear Medicine apparatus and auxiliary equipment. Produces diagnostic scans and outputs to film/workstation for physician interpretation. Assists in regulatory quality assurance as necessary. Maintains and cleans equipment. Participates and has responsibility for emergency on call.
Explains procedure in easy-to-understand terms based on professional knowledge to relieve patient of pre-testing anxiety;
Ensures a consent form for the procedure has been obtained, if necessary.
Positions patient for scanning of various organs according to departmental standard operating procedures;
Dispenses radiopharmaceuticals to patients for oral intake such as therapy, schilling tests, etc.;
Calculates the activity and quantity of the radiopharmaceutical and prepares such radiopharmaceuticals.
Performs intravenous injection of the radiopharmaceutical;
Disposes of decayed isotopes according to required procedure;
Surveys nuclear medicine area for radiation.
Performs all quality control according to QC methods and procedures designated in respective radioactive materials license.
Labels films/images with accurate patient demographics and other exam specific information;
Assesses films/images for quality and accuracy of information;
Completes necessary paperwork and prepares films for filing.
· Graduate of an accredited Nuclear Medicine program, required.
· Current New York State Department of Health licensure as a Nuclear Medicine Technologist, required.
· R.T. (N) registration with American Registry of Radiological Technologists (ARRT) or CNMT registration with Nuclear Medicine Technology Certification Board (NMTCB), required.
· Previous experience in nuclear medicine, required.
· Alertness and skill in recognizing and identifying patient signs/symptoms and using judgment in selecting proper interventions.
· Ability to communicate effectively .